Monday 25 January 2010

Bonnington Square

For focus week I wanted to research deeper into my dissertation. My main aim was to visit my case studies; Bonnington Square, an Edible Estate in Southwark and to try and set up interviews.
Bonnington Square was the first case study I visited. I went to have a look at the secret community garden and central square, but what I found more interesting and more in keeping with my dissertation was how the residents of Bonnington Square have taken over their street using plants. As I was approaching Bonnington Square from South Lambeth Road, I started to notice different types of plants instead of those normally found at the base of trees. As I entered Bonnington Square I saw planting overflowing onto the paths and up telephone poles, and bins were taken over by bay trees and rosemary. This creates a community feel, softens the architecture and shows that people care about where they live and that they want to create a sanctuary in the centre of London. Bonnington Square showed me the benefits of creating your own environment; a happy community, taking pride in where they live.




























No comments: